The Catholic Water and Sanitation Programme is an Office/Department within The Catholic Diocese of Kitale Secretariat (Under the Bishop) in North West Part of Kenya-East Africa. The Purpose/Aim of the programme is to support rural and semi-urban community’s accessibility to clean water and sanitation.
- To promote provision of safe/clean water to the poor.
- To support poor people’s accessibility to hygienic sanitation facilities.
- To enhance good conservation of the natural environment.
Intervention Technologies/ Activities
- Adopt relatively low cost technologies in provision of water and sanitation services.
- Build communities capacity towards self reliance in water and sanitation projects.
- To facilitate Tree Planting in water catchment areas.
Roles of Water and Sanitation Programme
- Roof Catchment Rainwater Harvesting systems.
- Natural water source/spring protections.
- Gravity flow water pipelines.
- Ventilated improved pits(VIP) Latrines.
- Provision of Domestic drinking water filters.
- Shallow well protection and pumping systems.
- Community trainings and capacity building.
- Create awareness in the communities on issues concerning water and sanitation.
- Carry out project feasibility study & needs assessment and baseline surveys.
- Propose relevant intervention technology and Provide technical skills.
- Prepare project bills of quantities and budget estimates.
- Engage Contractors/ artisans and supervise construction of projects.
- Provide relevant trainings/capacity building to ensure sustainability of projects.
- Mobilization of community local resources and other funding/support.
- Carry out monitoring and evaluation of projects.
- Write project Reports to relevant authorities and donors.
- Network with the government and other stake holders.