The departments’ vision is to empower both men and women in the diocese in various development aspects and also to encourage the establishment of groups and individuals who are self-reliant.
These are organized at parish level. Some for men alone, for women alone and others for both men and women. Annual retreat forr CWA has been doing well every first week of December.2. MEETINGS
Various meeting have been held to discuss issues affecting men and women and finding practical solution. These are organized at parish level and at diocesan level.
One day and 3-day Workshops have been held in the diocese for both men and women. Some topics for such workshops include: Leadership skills, self reliance, identification of projects and starting new projects, the role of the men and women in the family, church and society among others. This has enabled men and women gain valuable knowledge in many fields.4. TRAINING
Workshop for single mothers and widows
There are Various disadvantaged groups within the diocese. The department takes care of them by empowering them economically and otherwise. The department organizes workshops for single mothers and widows as well as income generating activities.
The department continues to train its staff as well as other trainer of trainers in the diocese. This year we have trained on counseling, HIV/AIDS and sexual gender based violence.
New groups have been formed and others are in the process of registration by social services. This is being encouraged at the outstation level for easier management.
There are many Income generating activities in all the parishes within the diocese although some seem to be straining financially. Their main problem is lack of a revolving fund where they could borrow soft loans and repay as soon as their profit margins start to ascend. One interesting thing is that both men and women are willing to run income generating activities together. Some specific income generating activities are: farming, animal rearing, hotels, vegetable growing etc
The Gender and Development coordinator continues to visit various groups in different parishes. These visits were aimed at monitoring the on going income generating activities. This is a continuous activity.
Networking has been done with organizations, departments and dioceses. This year we visited Bungoma diocese and the response was positive.
The department also has been organizing pilgrimages to foster spiritual values and strength the catholic faith of catholic men and women. This year CMA and CWA visited Namugongo. CWA also visited Subukia shrine and hopefully the men will visit the same shrine in November.
The Gender and development office has managed to organize visits to the less fortunate. This year we have visited the women in prison and this is an on going activity.
- Some of the CMA and CWA leaders do not cooperate as seen in their absenteeism in meeting so not informed.
- Distance is also a challenge since some men and women are not reached.
- High levels of poverty lead to law contributions and participation.
- Establish family life programmme aiming at a better family, church marriages, inform on domestic violence among others.
- Establish a diocesan TOTs committee in different fields to help in facilitation to men and women at all levels in the diocese.
- Encourage more people to join groups and to be active in the church from the outstation level and parish level.
- Have a diocesan family day- Saturday after Easter Sunday
- Retreat for Catholic Men-start this year every 3rd weekend of November (thur-sat)